Eliminate the revolting and frequently unsafe expansion lines. You’ll be able to include an unused outlet rapidly and effectively in case you have an electrical outlet. To ensure effective electrical conductivity as well as durability and safety when using, you need to apply the correct electrical wiring technique. Following electrical wiring guidelines will help you stably operate an electrical system and limit possible accidents. The following article will mention some basic electrical wiring and installation principles that need attention. We also list how to wire an outlet from another outlet in residential electricity use.
Which is the electric outlet?
An outlet or container may be an attachment that interfaces an electrical gadget to a power supply. In buildings or houses, electrical outlets are more often than not introduced within the divider, even though they can also be introduced within the floor. Once in a while, they are found within the ceiling for controlling gadgets such as carport entryway openers or neon signs in storefront windows. Distinctive nations regularly have diverse outlet types and voltages. Each type of socket will come with different procedures and tools, depending on the characteristics of each country and region.
Some typical outlet types
In normal life, we only come into contact with familiar and invisible models of switches and outlets, only thinking of 2-prong, 3-prong electrical outlets… but do you know, there are no less than 15 types of plugs and outlets? Does each country have several types of sockets with specific standards and shapes? Different countries will have different types of universal power outlets, which will cause you many difficulties if we do not know and prepare outlets in advance.
To understand more about how to wire the outlet, we should understand more about the types of outlets available today. The following are the types of electrical outlets that we have collected and would like to share for everyone’s preference. Currently, there are a total of 15 styles of plugs and outlets in the world. Each type of plug/socket has a different shape and structure and is named starting with the letter from A to O.
- Type A: Outlet for flat 2-prong plug
Flat 2-pin type outlet
Rated Amperage: 15A.
Voltage: 100 – 127V
- Type B: a 3-pin outlet for plugs consisting of 2 flat pins and 1 round pin
3-pin type outlet
Rated Amperage: 15A.
Voltage: 100 – 127V
- Type C: Outlet for round 2-prong plug
2-pin type outlet
Rated Amperage: 2.5A.
Voltage: 220 – 240V
- Type D: Outlet for round 3-pin electrical plugs
3-pin type outlet
Rated Amperage: 5A.
Voltage: 220 – 240V
- Type E: Outlet for 2-prong plug with 1 ground hole
2-pin type outlet
Rated Amperage: 16A.
Voltage: 220 – 240V
Standards of electrical sockets in the US
With the above classification, the commonly used standard electrical sockets in the US are:
- Type A outlet – Rated amperage 15A.
- Type B outlet – Rated amperage 15A.
- Type C outlet – Rated amperage 2.5A.
These are 3 types of outlets that are safe and easy to use. You can buy them easily at any hardware store. However, pay attention to the rated amperage of each type of outlet and consider carefully whether it is the most suitable one for your home/company or not.
What materials do you need?
To ensure proper and safe electrical wiring, you should prepare yourself the following connection aids:
– Wire stripping pliers: Knives and pliers are extremely important tools for stripping electrical wires, we recommend using electric stripping pliers for easier and more accurate manipulation.
– Electric pliers: Besides the knife and wire stripper, electric pliers are also an effective tool to make the work of cutting wires, twisting and twisting electric cores when necessary much easier and more accurate.
– Electrical tape: An electrical tape is an indispensable tool, they help wrap electrical connections, ensures electrical insulation for joints.
– Voltage tester: The electric tester is used to quickly test electric leakage from walls and equipment
– Power meter: Used to measure resistance, check voltage.
– Insulating gloves: Electrical connections can also pose dangerous risks to the connector, so we need gloves to ensure insulation from the connection and the current.
In addition, you also need some additional tools such as:
– Electrical cable: Almost every household has an electrical cable, so you can fully take advantage of the available equipment
– Outlet & wire connector: Similar to cables, outlets, and wires are familiar items in every household.
Important outlet wiring principles
– Suitable electrical connections: The wires should be of good quality and have an insulating coating, with a suitable cross-section.
– Do not put 2 associations in 2 wires in line with each other, maintain a strategic distance from brief circuits of 2 wires when the connection quality isn’t ensured.
– Fuses: All electrical hardware must have suitable fuses, fuses must meet standards with cover, and fuse wires must be suitable for used capacity.
– Fully equipped with insulating protective tools: rubber gloves, rubber boots, insulating boards, metal electrical repair tools such as screws, wrenches, electric meters, etc.
– The repository, the NM cable, and the connected circuit breaker must all coordinate for amperage appraisals. Make beyond any doubt to purchase a repository that’s rated at the right amperage.
– Never interface more than one wire to a single terminal. On the off chance that there is more than one cable within the electrical box, utilize braids to associate the container to the circuit wires.
– Especially, when you want to wire the outlet from another, make sure you are a person with enough knowledge and experience. Do not “try” if you are not sure about your ability, otherwise, serious consequences are inevitable.
Here are important wiring principles that we want to share so you can apply them at home.
***Refer to more: How to wire multiple lights together? [Expert’s guideline]
How to wire an outlet from another outlet
Before beginning, you should have a basic understanding of the following basic information:
Find out on the off chance that you would like an allow or proficient installation. Depending on your location, you’ll require a permit to add an electrical outlet to your house/company. In a few places, you will contract a proficient to do any electrical work. This is not usually required for most Asian countries, however, if you are living or working in European countries, be careful with this problem.
Before touching any bare wires use an electric tester to make sure the power is completely off. If you have old, fabric-insulated wiring, let’s call an electrician to do safe connections.
Step 1: Power off and Outlet checking
Locate your home’s breaker box (Or the breaker box/ service panel). It is usually located in a utility area, such as a basement, kitchen pantry, garage, hallway, closet, or on an outside wall. If you are the head of the family, knowing the locations of electrical appliances in your home is inevitable.
Turn off the circuit controlling the unused outlet by exchanging off the comparing circuit breaker. Test the outlet for control employing a non-contact voltage analyzer to confirm that the control is off.
In case you’re supplanting an existing outlet, expel the ancient outlet at this time by unscrewing it from its electrical box, pulling it out, and disengaging the wires connected to it. Make sure you can remember the socket details correctly to support rewiring the new repository.
Step 2: Eliminating the existing outlet
Select an existing outlet. The ideal one is a plug that is fixed on the same interior surface (wall, floor…). An outlet without insulation will make it easier to thread through than an outlet with solid insulation.
Remember to remove all the screws on the socket surface. With the power safely off, eliminate the cover plate on the old outlet and set it and the single screw that holds it aside for re-installation later. You should also keep these items in a permanent and easy-to-remember place, in case you forget where to put them after you’ve installed them.
Now it’s high time for you to completely remove the wires from the old outlet. Pay particular attention to the color of each wire and also to where the colored wire leads. The dark wire ought to go to the brass-colored screws, the white wire to the silver-colored screws, and the wire uncovered of the separator to the green ground screw.
There may be other wires within the box that are joined alongside wire nuts or that end on the outlet as well; note where each goes and stamp them or draw a picture for future reference.
Note: A common hone is to plug the wires into the back of the outlet rather than connecting them to the screws on the side. On the off chance that you’ve got this outlet, there’s a little space on the back of the outlet where an awfully little screwdriver or another apparatus can be embedded; this will discharge the spring pressure on the electrical wire and permit it to be pulled out of the gap. Then again, the wires can generally be eliminated in case they are long enough and the outlet is to be replaced.
The old box is going to be thrown away. The most effective method to remove this from the wall or any surface is to reach just alongside a metal cutting saw blade. Eliminate the nails holding the box to the divider, but keep in mind that the wires entering the box are secured to the same stud fair over or underneath the box. You should also make sure not to harm those wires, as such harm will likely require a circuit repairman to re-wire that segment of the house.
When you pull the box away from the wall, that means you will have to cleverly add complicated wiring to it. You need to think carefully about how to pull the box without affecting the wiring. It’s best to sit back and think before you practice, just in case things get messed up just because you’re inexperienced. Eliminating the screw or removing it gently is also a good idea.
Step 3: Wire connecting to a news outlet
Start with cutting a hole for the new box. Make sure not to cut too large a hole, because the “ears” of the box must be outside the wall.
Afterward, you staggering the boxes. The most suitable location for a new outlet is through each and between the same pair of studs as an existing outlet. You can get rid of the old box or not – the choice is yours.
You can find a partner dragging the wire down. With the hardened wire through the divider from the upper room to the outlet area, tie or tape the electrical wire to it and, employing an aide, drag it down into the room. This method will take a few times and most likely several tries, but it’ll work. It is additionally approximately the way to urge that electrical wire through a protected divider without tearing the complete divider separated.
Step 4: Let’s wire the new outlet
Carefully score the soft outer sheath on the new wire and pull the sheath just enough so that it tears and comes apart at the score. Remember not to pull it out or it will pop. Be careful, avoid cutting into each wire insulation as this will destroy the wire.
Thrust the cable into the openings at the back of the box so that the uncut sheath is fair inside the box. At the existing area, thrust all the existing wires there into the box within the same way; the sheath is clearly as of now gone, so cutting it isn’t essential. Work the box into the divider and turn the screws to clamp it onto the divider.
The existing outlet could have more than one cable within the box that should be joined together. Remember to eliminate the sheath and any paper wrapping from the modern wire. Graft all ground wires together, employing a wire nut. Rehash for the dark wires and rehash once more for the white wires. Fold the wires and wire nuts back flawlessly back into the box; usually where a more profound box is exceptionally decent because it gives more space for the wires.
Terminations can be completed just by bending a loop, hooking it around the termination screw, and tightening the screw. In case you circle your wire around the screw, circle it within the clockwise heading so that turning the screw will not tend to thrust it back off.
Rehash the complete preparation for the unused outlet as well.
Step 5: Checking the whole process again – You’ve done
After completing all the steps, be sure to check it again. Any items in the old outlet should be reassembled in the correct order and position – as we mentioned in the previous steps. It would be terrible if you forgot where you left the cover of the socket, or you forgot how to install the parts of the socket.
Checking socket safety is paramount. Don’t rush to turn the power back on and use the outlet right away, take a close look at everything – you’ll most likely spot a mistake at some point. This may seem a bit boring, but it will save you or your family from sudden electrical problems.
Also, make sure that you have installed everything properly and carefully. Don’t let the outlet fail in just a few uses. It would be a waste of time.
And what will happen if you have finished and made sure everything was perfect? Congratulations, your new outlet is ready to be used. Enjoy your performance because you are a potential amateur engineer.
Some notes when installing sockets
To ensure safety, convenience, and product life, when installing the above sockets and switches, you should note a few rules below:
– Choosing a convenient, easy to operate, and not entangled location to install the power outlet. This will increase the convenience and comfort for the user.
– Attach an electrical outlet with a height of about 1.5m on the wall to prevent small children from sticking their hands or holding conductive objects into dangerous sockets. It is recommended to use a safety cover for electrical sockets: to help prevent unwanted accidents.
– Do not place the power outlet in a humid place such as a bathroom, a washroom. If it is imperative to install wet rooms, you should choose a location near the door to the room.
– The socket should be replaced when there are signs of damage, to ensure safety, to avoid unexpected electrical risks such as electric leakage or fire, etc., dangerous.
– Do not open or close the switch, plug in the power outlet when your hands are wet. Do not test electricity directly with your fingers.
– If you are a person who sweats your hands or is sensitive to electricity, find an assistant or an electric engineer. You may be in danger if you connect the power supply yourself without help.
Frequently asked questions
Can we connect a new power socket to another power socket that is already connected to the main socket?
Of course, you can. However, remember that adding such a large number of outlets may cause some technical problems.
What happens when my outlet is too old and insulated?
In this case, you should not do the wiring by yourself. Instead, you can find an electrical engineer to help you.
I often get sweaty hands. Should I wire it myself?
Completely no. Even if you wear protective gloves, there are still many hazards. Above all, you should look for a helper or electrical engineer. Safety should come first. It would be bad if you were in danger just for these unwarranted reasons.
I don’t have enough power tools in my house. Are all the power tools mentioned in the above article necessary? Can I replace them with other items?
The items listed above are absolutely important, and it’s best not to skip them or try to find replacements. If you do not have enough tools or are not ready, you can completely borrow them from people around (e.g. neighbors, colleagues …), or hire electrical engineers to help. If you are just a normal person and don’t have the knowledge to deal with these situations, follow our instructions for the best results.
I just moved to a new house, so I don’t understand the electrical system and the power switch of this house. How do I disconnect the power before wiring the outlet?
Ask the previous owner or find an electrical engineer to come and help you. It will be difficult for you to practice in a new house where you do not fully understand electrical structures.
I don’t know what type of outlet I am using at home? How do I distinguish them?
Normally, there will be about 5-6 types of outlets used in the household, depending on the country/region you live in. It is not difficult to distinguish these types of sockets. You can re-read the article to distinguish them. Also, pay attention to rated amperage – which is very important in the practice of wiring outlets.
I don’t know if I need a license for a wiring outlet? What do I need to do now?
Usually, you won’t have to ask for permission or sign any commitments if you want to wire an outlet in your home. However, if you are living in a few special locations, permission is required. In this case, ask your neighbors/managers or co-workers for advice. If you want to wire the outlet at work or in public areas other than your home, permission is also required.
Wiring an outlet from another one is not a difficult task. A lot of people have done it themselves at home and have had success. However, you need to have sufficient knowledge and skills to understand how to do it correctly. This will help ensure safety and avoid unnecessary electrical problems. Hope this article has been able to answer for you how to wire an outlet from another outlet.